Who We Are
For Reliant, that means offering more than just electricity. It means providing our customers with innovative “firsts” like electricity plans that include smart thermostats, allow customers to earn credits for reducing their usage during peak hours or offer solar sell-back options. These types of cutting-edge tools and programs help enhance and transform the way you power your life. And that’s just the beginning. Reliant and NRG are working hard to accelerate the pace of innovation – especially in Texas. The future holds great opportunities to lead the field with advancements in energy that connect and empower you – the individual.
We take pride in each of the residences and businesses we power. Our goal is your happiness. We work hard every day to achieve this, while giving back to the community in which we live and work. Here’s how we help:
- Empowering our customers to better manage their electricity usage and cost with innovative plans, products and services
- Leading the nation in bringing innovative, smart energy solutions to customers
- Delivering award-winning (2014 Benchmark Portal Top 10 Call Center Award) service and support 24/7, online or by phone
- Providing 23 million MWh of power annually to retail customers in the U.S.
- Supplying competitive pricing to U.S. businesses as the largest commercial & industrial retail electricity provider in Texas
- Committing to the communities we serve by volunteering 13,000 hours and donating over $2.5M annually to local charities and social agencies
It’s easy to tell that we love what we do. It shows in the quality of our product and the culture of our workplace. Our company values reflect this; they ensure that our work and our workplace strive for the best. It’s what you’ve come to expect from us, and it’s what you deserve.
Our core values provide a framework for all strategies, decisions and behavior. They are the standards by which we STRIVE to conduct our daily business, work with one another and interact within our communities.
- Safety – We embrace safety with an ultimate goal of zero injuries and a focus on preventative safety practices.
- Teamwork – It is essential we work as a team, harnessing the power of our combined skills, outlooks and efforts, to address business opportunities and solve problems.
- Respect for individuals, customers, communities and the environment – We pay attention to and treat one another with respect, strive to be a good neighbor, respect our local communities and respect the environment by working continuously to improve it.
- Integrity – Integrity is central to our open and honest communications with colleagues, investors, regulators, customers and the communities where we do business.
- Value Creation – Our goal is always to create value. Our capital resources, physical assets and professional expertise must be applied in the manner that creates maximum value.
- Exemplary Leadership – Regardless of our positions within the company, we are all leaders. We exercise leadership by developing well-thought-out plans, effectively communicating to all who would be affected and then acting decisively to implement them.
Reliant has a rich history. Quite rich, in fact! We can trace our roots back to the company that brought electricity to Houston for the very first time. As you might imagine, things were simpler back then. There were no electricity meters, so service was provided at a flat rate. For $3 per month, customers would receive an all-night light.
But despite this modest beginning, the wheels of progress were turning. And in the decades to come, electricity and the men and women of The Light Company, as it was known in those days, would play a vital role in bringing the city of Houston into the 20th Century. Like today, it was all done through an unwavering commitment to service, innovation and community.
Over the course of the next century, not only did electricity provide residential lighting to the city of Houston, it powered the city’s economic development, helped make NASA’s first space walk possible and established the city’s preeminent role in the space program.
As the new millennium approached, change was in the air. Competition had revolutionized the telecommunication and airline industries, traditionally dominated by a few major players, and the electric utility industry in Texas was next. This transformation of the electricity industry into a competitive marketplace resulted in a better system for customers, with a new emphasis on consumer choice and, as always, service.
Today, as part of NRG Energy, Reliant is even stronger. NRG’s commitment to sustainability, renewable energy, innovation, and community involvement uniquely positions us to create value for our customers, employees and shareholders while enhancing our commitment to preserving the environment. So, as Reliant has done since energy competition began, together, we will continue to provide our customers the highest level of service and constantly seek innovative solutions that will improve our lives and our world.